Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Easy Beans

As some of you may already know, my favorite source for recipe inspiration these days is Heidi Swanson's blog 101 Cookbooks. Every single photograph on her site makes me salivate and sends me spiraling off on a heady bout of simultaneous food envy and adoration. I wish I could try every recipe she posts; but alas, one day contains a mere 24 hours and each week a slight 7 days, leaving me with no other option but to pick and choose.

Her simple Vibrant Tasty Green Beans Recipe fell right in step with my overabundance of laziness and fresh dill.

*I made only one revision to the original recipe below: I substituted butter for EVOO. Admittedly, not a horribly healthy swap, but I was feeling bone-chilly and butter-deprived.

Vibrant Tasty Green Beans Recipe (by Heidi Swanson)

- 4 leeks, washed thoroughly, ends trimmed, sliced lengthwise into quarters and then chopped in 1/2 inch segments
- 1/3 cup fresh dill, chopt
- 3/4 lb. green beans, ends trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- EVOO *
- sea salt

Heat a large skillet on medium-hi heat and add a generous splash of olive oil (or butter), a large pinch of salt, and the leeks. Stir until the leeks are coated. Let cook, stirring regularly, till the leeks are becoming golden and crispy (about 7-10 minutes). Now add the dill and the green beans and cook a few more minutes, till the beans brighten and lose their raw edge. Transfer to a platter and get munching!

No comments: