Sunday, June 21, 2009

What's cooking?

While the majority of bloggers probably engage in this egotistical act in order to satisfy a narcissistic urge to let the general public in on their every thought and desire, I oftentimes blog for this simple reason: I hate to eat alone. When I cook a meal, the idea of just consuming it - destroying the evidence, in a sense - without sharing it with others seems ludicrous. However, I find myself in this situation quite a bit, working city dweller that I am.

So tonight, like so many other nights, I want to let you in on some of the activity that's been going down in my little kitchen:

We'll start with last weekend:

I roasted a chicken, brushed with olive oil, garlic, chili pepper flakes, rosemary, lemon juice, and salt, until the skin was crispy and the aroma had me almost licking the oven door:

Next, I started fermenting cabbage to make this outrageously PINK sauerkraut (a fine demonstration of our rich NYC cult-shaah):
This weekend, although I spent almost every waking moment working in some commercial kitchen or another, I still couldn't resist the urge to dabble in my own cooking projects so I:

roasted some peppers...

and made veggie/nut/seed pate, then put both on my made-in-Brooklyn flatbread and rolled that up with farmer's market red romaine and feta for lunch:

And since I was on such a "roll," I decided tonight to make some minty, garlicky meatballs and wrap those up with my colorful bounty of veg:

Ahhh, I feel much better! Thanks for humoring my voyeuristic kitchen confession.

Up next: the results of my garlic brining, alfalfa sprouting, and sourdough starting!

No comments: