Friday, July 18, 2008

Chilled Avocado Slurp!


A recipe I spotted in an issue of Cooking Light inspired me to invent my own kind of avocado soup. As I normally do with recipes, I took a look at the ingredients listed, jotted down a few of these along with my own ideas for what to try, and started sculpting this raw green goodness in my beloved mini-cuisinart. Here's how it went down:
  • 2 ripe avocados
  • 1 can kidney beans
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt
  • some veggie broth (enough to get the desired texture)
  • 1 seeded and chopped jalapeƱo
  • 2 crushed garlic cloves
  • a whole lotta cilantro
  • a big splash of lime juice
  • salt
  • 1/2 diced red onion, for garnish
Puree all ingredients (except onion) in food processor. Add more broth as needed to get the right texture. Salt to taste. You want to refrigerate this at least 1 hour (but more makes the soup even tastier) before serving. Spoon over bowls of brown rice and garnish with red onion and a sprinkle of whole cilantro leaves.

* tip: leave one of the avocado pits in your serving/storage bowl to keep the soup from browning too much. Also, cover the surface of the soup entirely with plastic wrap, for the same reason.

I ate my soup for lunch all this week and it was amazing. It's incredibly nourishing and satisfying. With every day that passed the flavors mingled and intensified beautifully.

I was very sad to see it all go so fast (down the hatch).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yay, i was going to ask you for this! i'll let you know how it goes.