Thursday, September 18, 2008

A new chapter

Yesterday was my first day of culinary school at The Natural Gourmet School. General impression: KICK! ASS! I can't wait till Saturday, when I get to suit up in my new chef's jacket and houndstooth pants, gather my hair up in my nifty chef cap, tie on an apron, and get chopping (Knife Skills part I - now perhaps I'll stop Edward Scissor Handsing my fingers every day).

So terribly inspired was I (by cooking school and the continued abundance at the greenmarket) that I made two dishes:

Farm-Fresh Gazpacho:
- 3 ripe beefsteak tomatoes, peeled and cored
- 2 sweet red pepper
- 4 shallots
- 1 ciabatta loaf
- EVOO + red wine vinegar
- S + P

Directions in onomatopoeia: Whiiiiiiiir. Plop. Slurp. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Puttanesca sauce:

- EVOO + 2 cloves minced garlic + 2 chopped shallots (sizzle sizzle)
- 1 28-oz. can peeled tomatoes, drained (snap crackle pop)
- 1 cup halved black olives and 1/4 cup drained and rinsed capers (stir stir)
- 1 tsp. minced lemon zest (tuk tuk smoosh)
- red pepper flakes (shht shht shht)
- S + P (...)

Serve on a bed of wilted arugula and whole wheat spiral pasta



No comments: