Thursday, August 7, 2008
An Odd Couple
Tomatoes and peaches: okay, that doesn't sound like too out-there of a combo. But peaches and red onions?? Yes, my friends, it's incredible. And all three together, with just the right dressing, is simply divine. You can get all the main ingredients at the local farmers market, which I highly recommend you do. Here we go:
Tomato & Peach Summer Salad
- First, arrange some baby arugula on a large serving dish.
- Now slice up a couple of big heirloom tomatoes (I love Cherokee Purples), halve the slices, and lay them over the arugula.
- Next halve, pit, and slice a few ripe peaches and arrange over the tomato slices.
- Now slice half a red onion and scatter the separated rings over the peaches and tomatoes.
- Next sprinkle a handful of cilantro leaves over this.
- Mix together 1 part olive oil, 1 part lemon juice, a couple minced cloves of garlic, S & P and drizzle the dressing over the salad.
- Try not to drool onto your plate as you serve yourself this colorful delight!
(This salad was inspired by an article in the NY Times)